What is YouTube?
YouTube is a video-sharing website that allows users to upload, view, and share streaming video online. It is the world’s second-largest search engine.
Why should I use YouTube?
YouTube is an effective communications tool for KU organizations or departments that have interesting videos. Digital video recorders are easy to come by, so if you think your KU organization or department has content that would work well in video format, consider creating a YouTube channel.
Don’t have enough video content to sustain a YouTube channel?
Get your videos on KU’s YouTube channel, which features videos about athletics, student life, and research from across the university and from all campuses. To learn more about how to get your videos on KU’s channel, contact contact Katie McCurry at email@example.com.
How do I use YouTube?
Start by creating a YouTube account. Enter a valid email address and create a channel name that references KU.
By agreeing to YouTube’s Terms of Service you must
- Comply with all applicable laws.
- Provide accurate and complete information.
- Maintain the confidentiality of your password.
- Create unique first and last frames. Consider putting the KU logo and your program’s name and Web address on the first and/or last frames of the video.
- Keep it short. YouTube allows videos up to 15 minutes long, but we recommend posting videos about two minutes in length. Viewers tend to stop watching if a video is much longer.
- Spread the word. Share the videos on Facebook, Twitter, and other social networks.
- Don’t upload or post content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights of any party.
- Don’t use YouTube for commercial use without YouTube’s prior written consent.
- Don’t set up an account using student credentials.
Violation of any of the above actions may lead to removal of a video or post or removal of your account from a KU-affiliated web page. This decision is at the discretion of the KU Marketing Communications and Campus Initiatives staff or responsible KU unit for social media presence.
Uploading videos is simple
Uploading videos to YouTube involves the same steps you would take to upload a picture to any other site on the Web. YouTube will prompt you to review your computer’s files, and all you have to do is click the file you want to upload. YouTube videos may be high definition, up to 2 GB in size, and up to 15 minutes in length.
Once you have uploaded your video
- Give it a descriptive title and include at least one of the best keywords.
- Write a thorough but concise description. Only about 35 words (about three lines) will appear without clicking “see more,” so make sure the most important information is at the top. Target specific keywords to help people find your video.
- In the description, include the URL you want to send viewers to. Including the URL within the first two lines of text helps users find it more easily without clicking “see more.”
- Use tags as a key part of your YouTube Video SEO. Include a mix of specific and general tags. Use quotation marks to convey multiword tags (#KUresearch, “KU research”).